Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tovarish - Da Tovarish Review (new review by Dracolord)


 

Da Tovarish is one of the most depressing albums I've listened to in a long time. While bands like The Cure and Joy Division can inspire feelings of melancholy, Tovarish fills me with absolute sorrow. The bad thing is that I love it.

Da Tovarish, self-described as Soviet Doom, is one of the best produced albums I've heard come out of the underground. While some people spend years chasing after the thin “true” sound to give their music character, Tovarish instead wins you over with an eclectic array of samples and impressive sound mix. Combine this with soul-crushing guitar chords played at < 30 BPM and some classical instrumentation and you've got absolute despair in audio form.

While most of the lyrics are screamingly incomprehensible, the true heart of the music comes out through samples of old political speeches, what sounds like old propaganda radio broadcasts, and gunfire. It seems a lot of people have tried this combination of political speeches to music in recent history (mainly focusing on presidents and other country leaders discussing various military conflicts), but I've yet to see it pulled off so poignantly as I have with songs like The Very Heart of Darkness.

Da Tovarish is a dark, atmospheric journey through despair that I always enjoy (in my own pessimistic sort of way). It is available on iTunes for $7.00, and I urge everyone to go out and buy it.

You can find the band at the following sites.

@ myspace: http://www.myspace.com/tovarishband
@ reverb nation: http://www.reverbnation.com/tovarish





No comments:

Post a Comment