Monday, March 14, 2011

3:18 am – S.D.D.S. review (by Dracolord)


3:18 am – S.D.D.S. review

Drone can be a tricky thing to pull off. If it's too monotonous, then it won't hold anyone's attention. That seems to be my main problem with this release from 3:18 am. While there are some nice moments on this EP (whose acronym stands for Sickness Degeneration Drone Suicide), there's just too much “dead air” mucking it up.

Like the Monumenta EP I reviewed earlier, this EP is made up of one long song. A majority of the song is white noise run through a low pass filter with vocals and various atmospheric sounds on top of it. Unfortunately there are too many of those “dead air” spots in the song where all you get is white noise (and maybe some low frequency pad use). Combine that factor with the length of the EP, and what you've got is something that is a bit of a chore to listen to.

Don't misinterpret my criticisms as hatred for drone in general. Drone, when done right, is very enticing. Unfortunately it seems that a lot of the self released drone is hit and miss.

While I didn't enjoy S.D.D.S. myself, I have a feeling that some others who have more tolerance for drone may enjoy it more than I did. If you're like me and you only enjoy Sunn O)))'s Monoliths and Dimensions, you may not enjoy this EP. But if you're one of those people who loves anything Sunn O))) puts out, then maybe you'll appreciate this band and it's EP more than I did.

3:18 am can be found at the following site.

No comments:

Post a Comment